1901 - The parish is canonically established by Cardinal Gibbons under the pastoral care of the Jesuits.
1903 - The original church is erected but doesn't yet have a furnace or pews.
1905 - The fully equipped church is dedicated by Cardinal Gibbons in September. The total cost of the church is $3,917.27. The average Sunday collection is $3.16.
1925 - The present rectory is built during the pastorate of Fr. Brent Matthews, S. J.
1927 - The Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary arrive to staff the new Sacred Heart School.
1948 - The Archdiocese of Washington is separated from the Archdiocese of Baltimore and Sacred Heart is part of the new Archdiocese.
1948 - Archbishop Neale School is established as a consolidated school to replace Sacred Heart School.
1963 - Ground is broken for the present church. The parish having outgrown the 1903 church, Fr. William Michelman, S.J. completes the planning begun by Fr. Lawrence Hak, S.J. and begins construction.
1966 - Archdiocesan priests succeed the Jesuits in the pastoral care of Sacred Heart church.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
P.O. Box 1390
201 St. Mary's Avenue
La Plata, MD 20646
Weekend Mass Schedule
Saturday Vigil: 5:00pm
Sunday: 7:00am, 9:00am, 11:30am (Sacred Heart)
8:00am (Mt. Carmel Monastery)
See Full Schedule
© William Wannall